Parents in Australia need to be careful about second-honest sellers, after two children died from heat stroke in the lead-up to Christmas.
A family from north-west Queensland died at the Stirling Hotel, in the state’s north-east, on Boxing Day, with one of the victims suffering heatstroke.
The coroner has ruled the deaths were due to heat stroke and the coroner has asked the Queensland coroner to order a coronial inquest.
The Stirling’s chief executive, Mike Kelly, said the deaths had been caused by “a lack of appropriate care”.
“We are absolutely devastated by this tragedy and our thoughts are with the families of those involved,” Mr Kelly said in a statement.
“Our staff and all of our guests will continue to be fully focused on providing our guests with the best possible service.”
“Our thoughts are also with the members of the Queensland Emergency Service and their families, who are also deeply affected by this tragic incident.”
The Stirlings is known for its award-winning, third-hand goods, including clothing, jewellery and toys, and also sells second- and third-party property.
Mr Kelly told ABC Radio National that the hotel was “absolutely devastated by the deaths of two of our guest workers”.
“Our team, and all the staff and guests, have been devastated by what happened yesterday,” he said.
In July, a second-floor balcony was destroyed in a fire in a second floor store, which prompted a warning from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) that it would be illegal to store second- or third-home-grown produce at an Australian second-home. “
It is not acceptable for the Stirlies to be in the middle of such an incident.”
In July, a second-floor balcony was destroyed in a fire in a second floor store, which prompted a warning from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) that it would be illegal to store second- or third-home-grown produce at an Australian second-home.
A week later, a third-floor store in Adelaide was set ablaze when fire crews were called to a fire at the premises.
The fire caused $7.8 million in damage and caused $10 million in damages to the building.
In February, an ABC reporter in Queensland’s Gold Coast city of Darwin was allegedly approached by a secondhand seller who said he had a permit to sell “second-hand”, which he could not prove.
The ABC’s Steve Evans was told the seller had told him the store was the property of a “barrister”, but did not say who.
The store owner, who has since been charged with shoplifting, has denied any wrongdoing.
“I have no idea where this story comes from,” he told the ABC.
“There was no license on the premises and I never spoke to the manager.”